Friday, March 27, 2009

Fifth Sunday of Lent and I Still Don't Have It Right...


The fifth Sunday of Lent will be here in just hours. My Lenten journey has been a disaster. I have been working overtime like nobody's business. Homework never stops. Not to mention nine children, a wife, a home...


Anybody struggling or am I the only schmuck?


Every year I construct elaborate plans to pray earnestly, attend mass daily, do more spiritual reading, go to confession frequently, and just generally acheive adequate holiness for ascension. It never seems to happen.


I'll tell you what - you pray for me, and I'll pray for you. Maybe we can get this together. In the meantime, join me in a little sackcloth and ashes. MERCY!

2 comments:

  1. I have learned - being an older fella - to keep it simple and doable. I try to do two things, one for sacrifice, one for growth. This year, for example, I gave up chocolate, and I am reciting the rosary daily, a practice from which I had fallen away. I'm doing fine with both (so far), and hope to continue the rosaries even after Lent is over.

    I have found that when I try to do too much, I fall short and get frustrated.

    Sackcloth, by the way, can give you a rash!

    ReplyDelete

I am always interested and appreciative of your comments and thank you for taking the time. God bless you.