Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It's a major award!


Every July I go to bed late at night, and I lie awake, wondering if there was something I forgot, something I didn't do properly...perhaps a gaffe that insulted someone, or a breach of protocol I didn't know existed. I look at those in the "in crowd", compare myself, and wonder if I just can't cut the mustard. Do I appear too urban, or are my suburban roots showing? Did I neglect the wrong thing, while obsessing about something immaterial? Am I too formal? Too free-style? What did I do wrong?!?

Such is the frenzy of thought as I await the judgment of my garden.

Buffalo in Bloom, a locally-funded garden society that recognizes the best gardens in the city of Buffalo, sends its volunteers through every neighborhood, down every street, searching for gardens of note. The reward? A little sign with their logo to proudly display among the marigolds and rudbeckia, and a picture on the website. As the Old Man in A Christmas Story said, "Why, it's a major award!"

I have displayed that little sign in my front flower bed every year for the last seven years. I am not about to stop now; and so I weed, I feed, I snip, I pinch, I prune, I mulch...and then, I wait. I appear patient. I appear calm, cool and collected. But the wife knows. She sees through the ruse. "Oh, please," she says mockingly, "you'll get your silly little sign." But I am not so sure. Did I use too many impatiens? Are they looking for perennials or annuals? "I saw a sign on some houses on the other side of Hertel Avenue," I report to the spouse. "I guess I wasn't good enough this year." She laughs at me, "Don't get your shorts in a bunch". I am pathetic. I know.

This afternoon she called me at work: "You can relax. They came and put the sign on your garden today."

I never doubted they would come. Not for a minute.

Okay, whatever. Anyway, I won.

Yesssssssss.

6 comments:

  1. And praise God! Now I don't have to listen to you whine about it anymore. I would like to personally thank the person who left it but they run off before I see them. They must know I would hug and slobber all over them if I had the chance so they run like bandits in the night. I will catch them next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Beautiful and congratulations (easier to win major awards when you have water that actually falls from the sky ... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and well done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!Display your award proudly! I think your wife's comment is almost as good as your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praised be Jesus Christ!
    now and forever!

    flowers and blooms
    Bless the Lord
    Praise and exalt Him
    above all forever!

    ReplyDelete

I am always interested and appreciative of your comments and thank you for taking the time. God bless you.