Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Slow me down...

The noise of the world is getting me caught up
Chasing the clock and I wish I could stop it
Just need to breathe, somebody please slow me down
      Emmy Rossum, "Slow Me Down"
I don't remember most of this day.  I hate when that happens; unfortunately, it seems to be happening more often.  Off to work.  Running.  Keeping appointments.  Listening attentively while thinking of the next task.  Saying "yes" way too often.  Putting out emotional fires.  Keeping the peace.  Exhausted.

It was back-to-school day for the kids, first day teaching pre-K and Kindergarten for the spouse, first soccer game for Jacob (a tie), my first day back at night school as I further my degree, a quick meal, prayer with the kids, and a short breather.  Mom is at her monthly meeting with our community's superior...mine will be some time tonight.  It isn't over yet.

As I run from place to place my neck and the back of my head is literally throbbing with pain.  Stress headache.  I get them every once in a while.  I just took the crucifix from around my neck, relieved the pressure a bit (I had to commit to poverty, chastity, obedience, mercy and charity to the community with the heaviest cross).  I'm sitting here thinking about how I failed.  I didn't get back to a friend who wanted to talk about his failing marriage yet.  I still haven't got a load of groceries for the lady fired a few weeks back.  Couldn't get out to a wake for the brother of a dear friend and co-worker.  Spent all of five minutes with my wife today.  Hi kids.  Bye kids.  Too tired to do anything about the mess the cat made in the mud room right now.  Definitely don't want to see what the president is dishing out tonight. Dreading leaving the house again. 

I gave none of it to Jesus.

Maybe that cross was so heavy to remind me to give it all to Him.  Maybe I'm just moving too fast to take notice.  I have got to slow down.  God, slow me down. 

Okay, but don't do anything drastic...

4 comments:

  1. David, I don't see how it DOESN'T happen more often. It's amazing the way you keep going. I know that on your blog, everything looks pretty well-ordered, but anyone who considers for a moment the gravity and magnitude of your commitments can only imagine what you and the Mrs. have gone through, are going through, and will continue to go through. I wish I had seven more kids to find out first-hand. Try this one when it gets rough: Jhesu, Jhesu, esto mihi Jhesus!

    God bless you, and He obviously already has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have posted that prayer on my desktop. Thanks, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to me, I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider the Lilies of the Field..

    Seek first the kingdom of God..

    Hey, I have days like this..
    in my own sort of way..
    It doesn't really go away when you hit the
    "EASY" button,
    but we need to ask for te grace.
    ASK


    and OH
    I have a qquestion about the flu vaccine,
    Is there any chance I could ask..
    In person, or online?

    ReplyDelete

I am always interested and appreciative of your comments and thank you for taking the time. God bless you.