Saturday, August 28, 2010

Thank you.

As I consider the events of this day they play in my mind like a pleasant montage, accompanied by strains of Louie Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World". I am at peace.

Early this morning I was generously given the opportunity to speak to a group of individuals representing Christian, Jewish, and Muslim traditions about the importance of giving our brothers and sisters the tools to live healthy lives. It was a training session for Faith Fights Diabetes, a program promoting local faith communities to take an active role in the education of their congregations on diabetes. The program, funded and promoted through the State of New York, was based on an educational model from Seton Health downstate and (gulp) my health programs at St. Luke's. They treated me like a rock star. It is a DREAM COME TRUE to think that individuals will be following the screening and follow-up models I initiated at St. Luke's in their congregations all over the state. Think of all the people who will be helped…it is a miracle. God bless Franco Ohmeda and all the wonderful people he has gathered around him for this amazing project. I am humbled to have been a small part of its inception.

Later in the afternoon I drove my lovely daughter Elizabeth to her dormitory at Niagara County Community College to begin her freshman year. It was bittersweet; I cried, but my heart swelled with pride. Of course, her mother sobbed like a baby. One of her room-mates is a child of a family of twelve; what are the chances? She is in good company. It is so hard to let go. As I type this I am weeping - not for her…for me. I will miss her bubbly personality, the joy she brings to our home. She sings constantly; I will miss that most of all.

Later in the afternoon we attended a fund-raiser for St. Luke's at a locally famous beach house, "Mickey Rats". It is providentially placed on one of the loveliest sandy beaches on Lake Erie, and has been a perennial favorite in the community. We were entertained by an amazing band called "Party of Nine". I don't know if there is anything as attractive or entrancing as musicians who have honed their craft. I was enamored. They held us in the palms of their hands all evening. We ended the evening walking along the beach as the sun dipped into the horizon, leaving behind a crimson, orange, and pink sky that slowly succumbed to a deep, dark blue night dotted with stars. It was breathtaking.

God is so good. I am filled with gratitude. And I say to myself, what a wonderful world.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, David! It is soooo good to rejoice in His consolation. I'm so happy for you and Michelle and so proud of you all. Congats to Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when my son left for college. That mixture of pride and sadness at the same time. Last year he got married!! Talk about tears! Glad to see you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for welcoming me back. I missed you and all my friends online. It is good to be here. I wandered a bit in some "dryness". I pray it is over for now.

    ReplyDelete

I am always interested and appreciative of your comments and thank you for taking the time. God bless you.